Wednesday, June 24, 2015

At the seaside -

- and under the sea. Rubber Dance Art has a wonderful June challenge with three colors: sand yellow, blue and sea green.


The background was done with Rubber Dance stamps. I watched a very inspirational technique video. It uses grunge paste and stencils, but here I used gesso and stamping. With a deep etched rubber stamp it is easy to press into the wet gesso and achieve a similar look. The bubble stamps are from the set Round in circles.
(I love texture, but I am very timid in layering color over color - that's why I love watching videos where they do that. I would never have done this kind of work purely on my own.)


So this is what I did:
I pressed a bubble stamp into wet gesso. When it was dry I laid out three colors: sand, blue and green. I sponged them well in looking to get them into the cracks created by the stamping. When it had dried I applied a second layer of colors. Before the next step the surface has to be absolutely dry - for now it gets sanded - but just lightly. Where the bubble stamp had created a higher ridge this was now sanded off and the white gesso came through creating a nice dimensional look.


Next I stamped clear bubbles with blue water soluble ink and lightly painted the stamped images with water, smudging them.
I stamped some darker green bubbles, added more yellow (now mixed with gold paint). Bottom seaweed was done with a freebie stamp with geometric shapes, the prints were lightly touched up with a felt pen.



Also posting this in Simon Says Wednesday challenge (favorite technique or product) - I love wet stamping onto gesso!

4 comments:

  1. hello Alice! this is gorgeous, fabulous use of technique! I am having a giveaway on my blo, stop by to enter. so glad you played along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I'm glad you found a video to show you how to do this technique, because you rock at it!! Thank you so much for using some of my stamps and for entering our June challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kovasti tykkään näistä three- sarjoistasi :-)

    ReplyDelete