Thursday, November 30, 2023

A Christmas song

Jean Sibelius was a Finnish composer in the late 19th and early the 20th c. His symphonies are still played, but his Christmas song "Jo joutuu ilta" (translated into: Over hill and dale) remains less known. I managed to find a rather recent recording (here) of this beautiful but rather mournful song. This is as traditional Finnish style Christmas as it can get, a song about the darkness, snow and quietness, sung in a minor key.


That song was my starting point for this card, which I combined with some other ideas. The background is a gelli print with TH fir trees stencil. I also cut some fir trees from the same dark blue paper than my edging, and added golden stars. The name of the song is printed on a gold paper and used as text.



Entering this into challenges that inspired me in its creation:

Simon Says Monday Challenge: Trees

Cupcake Challenge: #583 Color inspiration Blue-White-Gold 


TioT: Traditional Christmas

Use Your Stuff: #480 Shine bright

TGIF: #448 Theme challenge


Thank you for your visit!

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful card, you created a fantastic scene inspired by the music. Thank you for linking with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this car feels like cold winter, and it is lovely also. I need to check out the Sibelius song too. Thanks for joining us at Try It on Tuesday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so dramatic. I LOVE the whole aesthetic. It is like a little piece of art!! Thank you for playing with us this week at Cupcake Inspirations Challenge!!

    Nora
    DT Member
    Cupcake Inspirations Challenge

    ReplyDelete